People with an apple-shaped figure carry fat and weight around the middle, usually with a heavier upper body and a slimmer bottom. They have are also prone to having a round shoulder line. These features make their chest area appear large.
Get it flat: Tone your tummy
For this body shape, the muscles in the legs burn the fastest. Aim to achieve a flatter stomach by doing high intensity cardiovascular interval training to increase calories burnt. Exercises such as walking or jogging uphill, stretching and squats can help you to lose weight. Strengthen your core by doing planking or pilates. Here’s a tip: Instead of solely focusing on your abs, work on your lower body as it will also help to strengthen your core at the same time – try squats and lunges.
The key to losing weight for this group is to keep the blood sugar under control. Steer clear of foods and beverages with added sugars, as well as those with high-sodium content. Limit your instake of refined carbohydrates. Incluse these heart healthy choices in your diet:
- A wide variety of fruits and vegetables (which should fill up half of your plate)
- Whole grains such as brown rice, oatmeal and quinoa
- Healthy proteins such as fish, soy products and nuts
- Avoid refined oil, butter, margarine, cheese, potatoes, fast food and alcohol.
This is one of the most desired body shape – a combination between an inverted triangle, the shoulders and hips are proportionate with a defined body waist. Some people may also have bigger busts.
Balance is the key: Tone all over
If you have an hourglass figure, you would have to keep your focus on balancing both the upper and lower parts of your body. Swimming is one of the best aerobic exercise for the upper body, while you can tone your lower body with squats, leg curls and calf raises. For the lower body, some good examples of aerobic exercise include cycling, walking and running. Looking to lose your body fat? Go for circuit training! Circuit training helps to keep your heart rate elevated and metabolism burning.
If you have an hourglass figure, keep an eye on your weight. Once you go overweight, you would likely be overweight all over. Eat smaller meals to keep your metabolic rate elevated. This helps to burn your fats faster. Include these in your diet:
- Lean and high-quality proteins: skinless chicken, tuna, lentils and peas etc.
- Non-starchy vegetables: cabbage, broccoli, baby corn, cucumber, cauliflower etc.
- Healthy oils and omega-3 sources: salmon, flaxseed oil, avocados, nuts and olive oil
- Anything high in fat, starch and sugar should be avoided.